Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has stated herself these exact words about her poetry, "I think my poems immediately come out of the sensuous and emotional experiences I have, but I must say I cannot sympathize with these cries from the heart that are informed by nothing except a needle or a knife." With that being said it is very apparent that Sylvia had several issues throughout her life, shortly after her father died Sylvia begin to become depressed and even attempted suicide. She wrote down her thoughts and emotions in her poetry as you may be able to see when she wrote her poems that we have read. In her poem "Daddy" it sounds like she relates her poem to a nursery rhyme called "the old woman who lived in a shoe" because she uses the words "Blacks hoe in which I have lived like a foot." With this particular nursery rhyme the mother whips her children and sends them to bed, I think that is a relation to the kind of relationship she had with her own father because they didnt have that kind of close relationship together, which may be why she went down hill from the time her father died and later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment